To strive for excellence in education, research, extension and policy support in the area of Agriculture and Allied Sciences in the country and the developing societies.
The Act inscribes the objectives of the University among others, as under:
- Making provision for education of the rural people of Uttarakhand in different branches of study, particularly agriculture, rural industry and business and other allied subjects;
- Furthering the prosecution of research, particularly in agriculture and other allied sciences; and
- Undertaking field and extension programmes.
The mission of the University is no different from the one set forth at the time of its establishment, except that its focus has now shifted to the needs and aspirations of the newly created state of Uttarakhand. In view of the current needs and the changing agricultural scenario at the state, national and international levels, and the subsequent requirements of user agencies and stakeholders the education, research and extension programmes have been reoriented. The University aims at reaching the remotest area of its jurisdiction in order to cater to the needs of those requiring its services, and desiring participation in its programmes. The University is committed to playing a significant role in the socio-economic up-liftment of the rural masses of Uttarakhand.
Goals and Objectives
Keeping the mandate in view, the University has set for itself the following goals and objectives:
- Creation of opportunities for quality education in Agriculture, Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Technology, Home Science, Basic Sciences, Fisheries, Forestry and Agribusiness Management programmes
- Generation of new, farmer-friendly and industry-friendly technologies to improve the production and productivity of crops and livestock, and to encourage and assist the rural youth, men and women to adopt the technologies
- Providing the required expertise and assistance to the planning and development departments of the State and other agencies for evaluating and testing the improved technologies and their dissemination for the benefit of the farmers
- Strengthening and improving the infrastructure for imparting quality education, and conducting need-based research by constantly improving and monitoring the syllabi, human resource and related facilities
- Strengthening and expanding the existing extension services for the development of rural areas of Uttarakhand
By achieving these goals the University aspires to become the foremost centre of higher learning in the field of Agriculture and allied disciplines. It contemplates on providing formal and informal education and training to the students, supporting research in priority areas, and generating and evaluating new technologies for the benefit of farmers. It also envisages making such technologies accessible for the farmers.